If you are currently working, or planning to work, in any corporation operating within Malaysia, you have to think through every career decision you make. This is especially true if you don’t want to be stuck in the same job for too long. Career advancement is an art. If you want to climb the corporate ladder as quickly as you can, every decision and step you take should be calculated and well thought out. Below are some practical tips you can follow to achieve a productive and progressive career:
- Develop a career timeline. Where do you see yourself in a year, in five years, or in ten years? Do you picture yourself heading your own company? These are just examples of the important questions that you need to ask yourself. Use your answers in coming up with your own career timeline. It’s easier to get things done if you can picture what you want to achieve.
- Build a network around you in your chosen field. Networking is a very important aspect of career advancement. The more people you know, the more references you have. Who knows, the man you meet and befriend during a conference or meeting could be your next boss or potential business partner.
- Never stop learning new skills. The logic here is simple: the more skills you present on the table, the more impressive you will be in the eyes of potential employers. The good news is that you don’t have to attend some Ivy League school to get the skills you want. If you research on available short courses in Malaysia, you will realize that you have a lot of training options to choose from.
- View your job as a training ground, not a permanent gig. At the outset, you should look at your present job as a stepping stone towards bigger things. Whether you want to climb the ladder in the same company or you want to try other companies, look at your current job as a tool in improving your skills and career options.
- Be very realistic with your career goals. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by coming up with very unrealistic goals. You should take into account your current set of skills and educational background when writing down your short-term and long-term career goals.
These tips don’t guarantee that you get what you want, but they’ll be very helpful in getting you closer to your goals. Career advancement is a combination of smart decisions and good luck. But if you do the things discussed above, you will drive the odds to your favor.